Friday, August 29, 2014

8/27: Kayak Flathead, RED HOT!

Wednesday night Russ, Amanda, and I took to the river in search of flathead catfish from our kayaks. Since our last trip yielded a 46lb flathead, and several smaller ones, our hopes were riding high. Here's the report of how our trip went:

Tuesday night we went out to a local lake and gathered approximately 50 bluegill ranging from 4" to 7.5". I knew at the time that between the three of us (Amanda, Russ, and I) we had the potential to use every bit of the bluegill on the river the following day. With that in mind I set my alarm Wednesday morning an hour earlier than I needed to. I planned on meeting Russ the next day in hopes of getting out and finding a few more bluegill before we hit the river. I woke up around 9am and started loading all of our catfish gear into the car and onto the kayak trailer. At 1pm we met up with Russ at one of his bait holes. When Amanda and I pulled up to Russ' bait hole he had three pieces of bait in his bucket already. Russ said the bite was slow so we decided to head over to a different spot to see if we could find bait a little bit faster. After an hour and a half we decided to give it up and go buy a few pieces of live bait from a local bait store. We didn't necessarily need these baits but they would serve as a good insurance policy in case we started to run low. On the way to the bait store I accidentally lowered my back window instead of my driver window (still getting used to my car), and I then proceeded to shut the window. Somewhere along the line my ultra light combo had fell over and was leaning against this window, so when I accidentally rolled the window down the tip of the rod stuck out the window. As I began to close the window I heard a crunch.....which prematurely ended the life of a good rod. The damage had been done and there was nothing I could do about it but laugh, so I shook it off.

After we picked up bait Russ, Amanda, and I ran through the shuttle routine.....drop Russ' car off at the take out, load up his gear onto the trailer, drive over to the launch location, etc... By 3:30pm we were on the water and looking for buffalo. If you read the last blog you may already know that buffalo fishing has become one of our favorite daytime activities on the river. Flathead catfish rarely bite during daylight hours so we find it more productive to search out buffalo feeding on floating scum mats. (Note the different colored text.....keep this in mind!)

We paddled around for the first 15 minutes and quickly realized that the buffalo weren't feeding. The river was receding from a large rain event and was still a foot high and a slightly stained. Since the buffalo weren't feeding we decided to anchor up on  a couple of the deeper holes in the river and try our luck. This was also a way to use up some of the bluegill that had died over night. Before we went our separate ways and anchored on our own spots I had to give Amanda a few of the dead bluegill, which I had stored in a five gallon bucket in the back of my kayak. As I reached back and grabbed the bucket I heard something hit the water.....after further inspection I noticed a white hawg trough (standard measuring board) sinking like a stone in the current. This trip was quickly becoming quite costly.

Once again I shook it off. I anchored up on the head of a hole and began tossing pieces of cut bluegill out along current breaks. Ten minutes later one of my bait clickers began going off. I grabbed the rod and swung for the fences....and connected. The fish stayed low and began working its way into the swifter water near the middle of the river. It never took line but it felt heavy. After a two minute tug of war competition I realized that it wasn't a fish at all, rather a giant leatherback turtle. This trip was not turning out how I had imagined it.

After an hour and only a turtle to show for our efforts we decided to head down stream to the next deep hole. Once again I decided to take the head of the hole. I quickly tied myself off to a tree that was sticking out of the water. Russ paddled downstream to the core of the hole and positioned himself on the bank near the calmer deep water. Amanda found a school of feeding buffalo so she began drifting chunks of night crawler to them. Less than five minutes later my bait clicker started going off. I set the hook and connected once again, and then I quickly realized a problem with my choice of location. The current where I had chosen to anchor was pretty swift, which made for landing/fighting even the smallest fish a difficult task. After a 3 minute battle, which should have taken 30 seconds, I landed my first fish of the trip.
You can see above that the current is literally ripping around my kayak. This is not the kind of place I like to put myself in when fishing for big fish in deep water. 

I quickly snapped a few pictures for kayakwar points and tossed my rod back out. A few minutes later I hear Russ yell that he's got one. I couldn't make out everything he said because the current was making sounds as it rushed past my bait bucket, transducer arm, and kayak. Amanda was located in between Russ and I and she caught the whole comment. She looked over to me and said, "He said he had a GOOD one!" I yelled down to him that I was on my way. I quickly began reeling in rods and unwrapped my anchor.

As I rounded the bend I saw Russ with his rod doubled, tip nearly hitting the water, and kayak scooting toward the middle of the river. I paddled up within 15 feet of him and began getting the net ready. He then proceeded to tell me that he couldn't do anything with the fish. It was on bottom and it wouldn't come up for anything. I watched his drag slip a few times as he lifted the rod and applied pressure. He had 40lb monofilament on his rod and from what I could tell he could still afford to crank the drag down tighter.  He really had no choice at this point, the river bottom was littered with trees and it was only a matter of time before the flathead found one and wrapped him up. With a couple cranks of the drag Russ was able to make some progress and pull the fish free from the bottom. Now this is where things began to get interesting. We were both drifting down a river, he being propelled by a fish and current and myself being propelled by current. It took less than thirty seconds for the flathead to pull Russ within an arms distance of my kayak. I quickly began to back paddle but it only seemed to make things worse. At one point Russ was actually fighting the fish around my kayak. Eventually, the fish made his way back around Russ' kayak and we were able to push off of each other. The fish then began boiling the water at the surface each time it made a run. We could tell that this was a long fish, the point at which the line went into the  water was a good 40" or more from the boils that the fish was putting off with its tail. Eventually, Russ got the catfish to surface within an arms reach. It was a pig and he wasn't waiting for me to come over with the net. He quickly leaned over and grabbed the fishes lower jaw. At that point I paddled over and got the net under the rest of the fish. Now we had to get to the bank to get pictures and get a weight. Russ reeled in his other rod and gave me the net. (my kayak is deeper so I could securely hold the fish and paddle over to the bank.) We paddled over to the bank and began snapping pictures.



It went 42" (when straight) and 36lbs 8oz in the net....with the net deductions it weighed 35lbs 3oz. This was certainly the right way to start a trip! We took pictures, weighed the fish, and then released her back to be caught another day. We paddled back upstream and tossed a few baits out and waited till 8:30pm before we decided to head downstream and start working some shallower wood covered shorelines. We got anchored right at dark and started tossing out baits. I started at my spot with two live bluegill. I placed one five to ten feet off of the bank and the other about 30 feet off of the bank in the deeper water. Literally within seconds of placing my last rod down, the rod that I had placed near the bank began to get a bite. It pulled my bait clicker and then stopped, five seconds later it pulled a little more and then stopped again. I quickly got impatient and picked the rod up and waited for the fish to pull the slack out of the line.....swing and a miss. Over the next hour I got nearly a dozen runs and missed well over half of them. I did however land three small fish, the first of which was a small flathead tjust short of the length needed for kayakwar points, the second was a 22" channel, and the third was a flathead in the 25" range.

At 11pm Russ and Amanda were ready to head downstream and give another spot a shot. We each went our own way and dropped anchor. This spot was no different than the last. Lots of bites near the bank, and a lot of missed hooksets. The fish were either too small to get the whole bait in their mouth or very smart. Amanda ended up landing a nice channel in the 25-28" range thirty minutes after setting up anchor, however she was after bigger fish and decided not to take a picture with it. After a couple hours in this spot everyone was ready to move on and find more active fish. At this point I was on my last piece of bait so I had to bum bait off of Amanda and Russ, who seemed to be having a slow night judging by the amount of bait they had left.

We found another spot nearly a half mile down stream and began tying off to limbs and anchoring on the bank. Russ took the head of the log jam, Amanda the core, and I took the end of the log jam. I found a nice spot with a clean bank about 20 yards upstream from a log jam and overhanging tree. I buried my anchor in the sand on the bank and began tossing out my rods. Within ten minutes the rod that I had placed closest to the bank began to get a bite. I grabbed the rod, dropped the rod tip, engaged the reel, waited for the fish to take up the slack, and set the hook. The drag immediately began to slip as the fish made a hard run. This was a strong fish. About 45 seconds into the fight the fish found a piece of wood. I wasn't wrapped up too bad yet because I could still feel him swimming around. There just seemed to be a point where I couldn't get him over a log or something, so I pulled anchor and went out to fight him from the other side. A couple minutes and several strong runs later I landed what I believed to be my first 20lb flathead from this river. (Russ and I joke all the time that the river doesn't hold fish in the 20-30lb class. We have caught dozens of flathead with a few over 30lbs and yet to get one in the 20-30 lb range.) I yelled up to him and told him that I had a "20", eager to see this mysterious creature he paddled down to investigate. He immediately said, "Nope......not quite 20. Maybe 18." Onto the scale she went...........and Russ was right, not quite 20lbs.
It went 35" and 17lbs. At this point it was 3am, everyone had pulled off anchor, and was sitting around. We had a 30 minute paddle back and an hour or so in loading up/getting the vehicle at the put in location. I knew Amanda was ready to leave, but I wasn't quite done yet. We managed to pull enough energy together to hit one last spot. I anchored downstream of everyone again and began tossing baits out. The rod near the bank was hot again, I quickly picked up an additional two flathead with the largest being 28" and in the 8-10lb range.

At 4am we decided to call it quits and make the paddle back. All in all we had a pretty good trip. Everyone caught a flathead, Amanda even got a nice channel cat, Russ caught a pig at 35lbs 3oz, and we all had a pretty good time. Maybe it will be Amanda's turn for a giant next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment